The Angel of Peace and Hope
Holy Trinity Church, Killiney, Co. Dublin. Number of Lights 1, Window: 1 Date 1919 maps
The Angel of peace and hope window was commissioned by Mrs. Lloyd, of Victoria Castle in Killiney. It was a war memorial to her son, Clifford, who was killed in the First World War in January 1915.
The window was completed on February 21st 1919 (Harry Clarke Papers, Pocket diary: 1919). The window has a double border. In the main panels, the magnificent angel holds a golden staff that displays a flag with a pink cross. Her pale face is depicted in profile and her golden red hair trails behind her. A blue and purple halo surrounds her, encircled by a row of white beads of light.
A beautiful dove flaps its wings above the angel’s long slender hands. Her golden clad feet stand on a section of land, carpeted with grass and flowers. The lower left corner of the window depicts the Lloyd family’s coat of arms.
Photos by © Michael Cullen (for prints/sales www.irishimages.org) - Text © by Lucy Costigan
Harry Clarke Papers, MS39202 B: Diaries II, Pocket diary, 1919, National Library of Ireland, Dublin